Being in a foreign place, or on unfamiliar grounds, can make you an easy target for crime. Reduce your risk of being mugged by taking a few simple precautions. Here are some universal safety tips that you can apply anywhere in the world:
At the Airport:
- Watch out for staged mishaps– spilling a drink, someone bumping into you, etc. This tactic will divert your attention away from your valuables.
- Never ride non-airport taxis. Some taxis charge customers more than the actual fare and even take a longer route just to extort money from you.
- When seeking information or directions, always go to the marked counters.
At your Accommodation:
- Store your valuables in a safety deposit box
- Keep your room locked at all times
- Always make sure that your luggage is given to the bell staff
- If you want to dive in deeper about accommodation safety, this 2-minute read will help you!
- Ask your hotel manager or local tourist for information about different scams happening in that place.
At the Streets:
- Blend in the crowd and match your dress style with the locals. Avoid loud shirts and a camera hanging from your neck.
- Never bring large sums of money with you
- Practice awareness and notice people are taking a more passing interest in you for too long.
- Exchange your money at the bank or hotel; avoid doing this in the streets
- Consider having a “dummy” wallet holding a small amount of money. In that way, you can avoid further distress.
If you want to guarantee your safety at every accommodation you wish to stay at, Booking.com is the best place to be! You can access all of the visitor’s reviews of the place to make sure that it’s extra safe.
Along with that, you can get up to a 15% discount if you register here.